View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM

Some more follow-up with my new integrated...

Hooked up a laptop running JRiver and using music files stored on my NAS. Now it is just the computer, amp, and speakers, making for a very simple system.

The sound is almost exactly what has been written about in the published reviews. A warm, rich, tube-like midrange and treble, coupled with tight and tuneful bass. Terrific sound coming from mt Sonus Fabers. I am very happy with the amp so far. Just for comparison, I used to have these speakers powered by the McIntosh MA7000 integrated amp. To my ears, the ModWright sounds better, with smoother treble and richer mids.

The transformer hum has gone down in volume and is barely noticeable unless you are very close to the amp. I certainly cannot hear it from the listening position. I wonder if by using a PS Audio Powerplant that regenerates the power, the hum would go down even further? Who knows with transformer hums. Bottom line is that it does NOT interfere with the experience at all.

BTW...I bought the amp from Galen Carol Audio in San Antonio. Perhaps the best experience in buying stereo equipment I have ever had. Absolutely terrific communication and very prompt service. BRAVO!!!

Last edited by 4N6; 01-27-2013 at 11:53 AM.