View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrenwick View Post
What was suppose to be my dream system has turned into a sickening feeling, this is not for me. Does not fit my personality if that makes sense.
Buyers remorse to the max. I went with superb equipment that was very pricy and now I’m not sure what to do next. I want to sell my turntable, cartridge, and phono-stage and go digital. The quality of the bulk of vinyl I have bought is not good. It is so noisy, full of pops and crackles. I have cleaned the records on a pro-ject machine, I’ve used cleaning/static brushes, it doesn’t matter, seeems to be inherit in the pressing. The only vinyl I have that isn’t this way is from MFSL, the rest varies. Some is so bad I can’t even listen to it as the noise is equal to that of the recording.

What kind of loss can I expect on a VPI Prime Signature, SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII, Manley Chinook? I don’t see a section on this board to list equipment, any recommendations?

Thanks for reading.
Hey man,

Don't be so quick to give up on vinyl. When I first got back into vinyl, I ended up in virtually the same situation as yours. I spent thousands of dollars only to end up with one headache after the next. My low quality mps sounded far better than my vinyl records.

To make a long story short, the turntable I bought was a lemon. I exchanged it and most of my problems went away. Then I discovered that the quality of new records varies significantly. It simply isn't ideal to walk into a store and buy random albums and expect them to all be of high quality. In fact, many of them are going to be garbage quality pressings despite what their hyper stickers say. I have learned that if I want to buy an album, I have to go online first and do research to see what the best pressing is for a given album. Discogs is a good place and the people on the Steve Hoffman forum are also pretty obsessed with comparing every pressing in existence. I have become super picky as to what goes into my collection.

In the end, I am so glad that I didn't give up! There are some vinyl records that just sound so incredibly magical that I can never go back to digital only.