View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsystems View Post
I've heard them separately, in very different situations. I really liked the M5s driven by Soulutions. I heard the Q5s with McIntosh amps and I was unimpressed. Give the Q5s a good listen. They are more clinical and analytical than the M5s. I found the M5s to be warmer and more pleasing. Depends on your tastes. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the two.
Agree the M5s are definitely no slouches. I've found that their performance ceiling has a lot of headroom even for their older technology. The before and after incremental performance of the M5s with the right amplification, cabling, room Rx and power conditioning in my experience has been almost night and day.

Yet the reduced resonance of the Qs with their all aluminum bodies is impressive and they represent a significant technological step forward. But as you say, that doesn't necessarily translate into a better sound in my room and for my musical tastes.

The Q5 was the first Q generation speaker and under the circumstances, it presents for me now an affordable dip into the higher end of the Q pool.

There is no substitute for direct experience and I would love to listen to the Q5s in my room and equipment. But it's very difficult to do that with these kind of speakers. The logistics alone of dealing with these heavy behemoths are daunting. Hope to get to the next best option and hear them in a good room with good equipment soon. And to get the knowledgeable advice from the folks here on AA.

Thanks for the input.