View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 03:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Preamp/High-end DAC does benefit from higher gauge ie. Sigma level.

It might seem counter intuitive but many who tried it reports the difference clearly. If not, save yourself money and get the alpha level.
Yes, this correct.

Having compared Sigma NRv2 to Alpha NRv2 directly, the Sigma provides more "absolute performance" on power amps, preamps, DACs, etc than Alpha NR v2. The presentation is more "forceful", dynamic and Sigma actually sounds a bit louder at the same gain setting on the preamp than Alpha.

That being said, however, Alpha V2 is a superb and beautiful-sounding power cord, and particularly well-suited, IMHO for components e.g. preamps, DACs and phono stages. It has a gorgeous but truly neutral, layered, and finely articulated presentation and quality to it that serves the musical presentation really beautifully.

For no-compromise, no-holds-barred systems in dedicated rooms, especially large rooms, next to Omega QR, its the best you can get. But, in my small space, I've found that Simga XC and NRv2 on the power amp and Alpha NRv2 on the preamp works really well for me.

Another analogy I find to be particularly accurate: Sigma NRv2 is like a Porsche GT2 RS, incredibly fast, powerful, the production car that holds the oturight lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife. The Alpha NRv2 is like a Porsche GT3 RS, not as fast in an absolute sense, but the perfect car for a beautiful twisy mountain road or the classic Targa Florio circuit.

They are both superb, but in different ways, each well-suited for different systems and rooms.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-02-2020 at 03:40 PM.