View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 11:07 PM

6 days after I took delivery of this amp, I continue to enjoy listening to it for a few hours a day. Considering I have four kids my wife has been very understanding of my passion! If I had the time I'd listen to it 6 hours a day. It's that enjoyable.

The amp's tonal balance is deepening as time goes on. At first, this was a lean sounding amp. With less-than-good recordings it remains so. With well-recorded/mastered albums however it sounds great. The bass extension is all there and quite stunning on organ recordings. Despite the transparency and clarity, it is very smooth sounding and I find myself completely devoid of listening fatigue. The soundstaging is very wide, extending about a couple feet beyond the speakers positions. Listening to Vangelis's "Chung Kuo" is quite a treat! Again, for $2995 this amplifier gives a full experience of where state-of-the-art amplifier technology is. I bought this wanting to play with it and was prepared to move on to a much more expensive amp within the next couple years. Given how good the AHB2 is, I no longer feel that need or desire.

I ordered a pair of Benchmark's Canare cable with Speakon connectors on the amp end and two pairs of spades on the speaker end for each channel so I can hook it up to the barrier strips on my Vandersteens. I'll post impressions of my system with that cable burned in a few weeks.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 06-03-2016 at 11:17 PM.