View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFz View Post
Grantray, thanks so much for posting this picture of the Valencias on your
stands, and giving your impressions given the O93s as a baseline... Curious, in both your cases you seem to have the speaker elevated by a foot or more. Why did you opt to go that route? In my case I was thinking of about 8-9" which would be ear level for me. I'm sure there is no 'right' answer per se, just curious how you guys came to your numbers.
Thanks for the kind words!

Personally, I'm not a believer in the rule that horns/tweeters must be ear height for "perfect" playback. To me, that's simply a false, hubristic logic. Sound happens to perfectly fill a room at the given ear level of the listener as much as our flat earth is the center of the universe.

With the 846As, I focused on positioning the speakers at a height that most suits the space they reside and create pressure in during playback. The O/93s helped me come to that conclusion, actually. When I felt a track deserved my utmost attention, I usually found myself sitting on floor, with my ears just below the O/93's tweeters.

But to play my own Devil's Advocate, that may also be because I spent several years in the small jazz clubs, music venues, and bars of New Orleans listening to unmic'd musicians, who were on very short stages, generally no more than a couple of feet, just above head height. The way all their instruments filled those rooms had a certain "rightness" to how the sound was able to cascade down on the audience, and that's what I strive to replicate by giving attention to the room above all else.

Of course, I understand not everyone will have the same emotional response to my notion of rightness in sound reproduction. But I hope hope that helps answer your questions about the height I chose for the Altecs' stands.

Last edited by grantray; 05-18-2017 at 01:37 PM.