View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance View Post
Some easy mods are replacing the power supply, adding an external dac, and using an external usb hub/regenerator.
Wow! So you are actually bypassing the clock. Impressive. (More on clocking further down.)

The MPS4 is conceptually identical to the MB100, but the HW was/is totally different. I have spent very much time working with the integration with multi-room systems (e.g. Nuvo Grand Concerto) and in particular a deep dive into the Autonomic MCS software & apps. If you ever have any questions, I would be happy to assist.

I gather from the quote above some order of priority?
The current 7.1 DAC is 12 yrs old (!).
Sorry for asking, but this is really not my turf and I would really appreciate some pointers:
- What mid-level DAC would you recommend? What entry-level DAC would you recommend?
I am contemplating both 2 channels and 7.1 (4pairs). (There are few quirks/limitations to the SW/license that may need to be addressed. Either to replace (preferable) or complement the current DAC)

A side observation that you may have insights to. Perhaps due to USB quality?
Background:
- MPS4 Vers 1 was built on: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...chProdSpec.pdf
- MPS4 Vers 2 was built on the very common: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/su...prodspec09.pdf

My observation and question:
- the original DAC is attached to a USB header on the V1
- on the V2 the same DAC is attached to some sort of small (passive?) adapter attached to a PCI Express Half-Mini Card slot.

Why would Nuvo do that? Does the PCIe slot provide better quality?

(As a "V3" upgrade I have done a very moderate test with a Mitac PD10BI running a Celeron J1900 on Bay Trail. (The very first 64-bit architecture...)
The test works fine. I need the unlikely four simultaneous audio flows to even get close to 50% CPU on Win7. I am running other SW on top, so I am likely to upgrade again.)