View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Hello,

You have done some amazing work on your MB100!

I am the owner of a MB100/MMS-5A like system called Nuvo MPS4.

The MPS4 is probably somewhere in between the MMS-5A and MB100 in initial quality. It has a USB DAC, but unheard of (Attero Matchbox). Furthermore it is powered by the same unit as the mobo.
The mobo is and old Celeron, runs Win7/32bits (as the MCS) but is fanless.
The HDD has been replaced by a SSD.

My SW is fresher than this article (5.35), but I wonder if some of the issues described in this review (a follow-up article) have been addressed by your HW changes..
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-server-follow

With your knowledge, what would you say would bring the unit to a new level? How would you prioritize?

1) other DAC. SPDIF or USB based?
2) external power supply.
3) faster mobo. (preferably fanless...)

Many thanks,
Bob
I am not familiar with the mps4. It took me several hours of studying the mb100 and all of its components before I can make modifications. I upgraded the master and ethernet clocks, by passed the internal dc to dc converters. I am now working on adding external clock to sync it with my usb regenerator and network switches. Most of this takes very fine soldering skills and most importantly knowing what you are tinkering with. Some easy mods are replacing the power supply, adding an external dac, and using an external usb hub/regenerator. I swapped my i3 cpu with an i7 but I can’t say it is much quicker. I think i3 was well adequate already. SSD made it boot faster for sure but didn’t have an effect on the audio quality.