View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
As I posted yesterday in the "What Are Auditioning Today" thread in the General Audio Discussions Forum the REL G1 sub was delivered and set up by a local dealer for me to audition. I spent a great deal of time yesterday afternoon and this morning to a multitude of tracks seeking out a few with some low level content.

As noted in the other thread I waited until this afternoon to re-run Room Perfect to account for the sub in the system. Yesterday we just adjusted the sub so that it sounded good in both the Focus 1 and Bypass states on the MEN-220. The phase was set a 180, and the crossover adjusted to 27Hz.

Just a couple of additional comments.
I have owned 3 subs that I have tried in my 2-channel system and I was not happy with the results with any of them. Those included a Def Tech 15", a JL Audio F-112 and a Martin Logan Decent i. I always felt like I was hearing the subs and was in a HT set-up. Since those subs were in my system I have added quite a few room treatments so any comparison between those units and the G1 are really not valid.

Those individuals who have heard my system since I installed the MEN-220 all agree that there is very little difference between the Focus 1 and the ByPass positions. If you read my MEN-220 posts I was always above 98% Room Knowledge using about 15% computer you will see that I was. I just ran RoomPerfect with the REL G1 in the loop and I am at 99% RoomKnowledge with the processing jumping all the way to 47%. Currently the unit must be doing a lot of work in the bass area. I can now readily hear differences when the ByPass position is selected. (There was even a greater difference yesterday and this morning before I ran the RP process)

I will continue to update this thread as I get to spend some more time with the unit.

Jim
Jim, just curious, where is the sub level set?