View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 PM

Default Listening impression REF160M

Hi

I finally found the time to listen to the REF160M. I was able to listen to it in my buddy’s system . We used the VPI HR-X w/ the Lyra Etna , the Kronos turntable w/ updated P.S. , Kuzma 11” 4 Point tonearm , Clearaudio G.F. V2 cartridge . We had the ARC REF 10 line stage and the REF 10 Phonostage . My buddy currently using the ARC 750SE Power amps . Speakers used were the SF Aida Series 1 . Cables used were TOL S.R. , XLO Signature and Shunyata .

What a joy the to listen to the REF 160 M in triode mode . It has presence 8 smoothness in spades . When you play music w/ female/male vocalist , there is this eerie feeling that they are in your music room. In my humble opinion if one uses an efficient pair of speakers these will be the last amp you’ll ever need. The midrange is so good that in my humble opinion it easily better’s the REF750SE . We listened also in ultralinear mode and listened to Side 2 of Cantate Domino LP and this time it’s clear that the REF 750SE is the King of the Hill as far as the ARC amp hierarchy .
It seems even in UL mode the REF 160M driving the SF Aida cannot project the huge soundstage and ease of delivery of power & dynamic contrast of the REF750SE.
But w/ female / vocals , small jazz ensemble the REF 160M are hard to beat .