View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
The S5 system was very nice. Somewhat surprisingly to me, the S1 system is a killer. I'm a hugely biased Tannoy fanboy, and these S1 are about the 1st non-Tannoy to give me those "everything's right" and "I'd be quite happy with this" feelings.

The treble is just fantastic (they did a great job with that beryllium tweeter), the mids are simply lovely (highly resolving yet organic), and the bass is very well integrated (much more so than with the S5). There's obviously less bass than with the S5, but they did a great job engineering for its size. Soundstage is notably improved in the S1 system.

I don't like the low efficiency of the Magico speakers, but when it sounds so great from 80 Watts/ch, it's hard to complain much. There might be something special to that VAC integrated, but certainly the S1 is also special.
Reading your comments, in summary Mulveling you feel the S5 was "very nice" and the S1 is "a killer" and "special" and the S1's bass "is very well integrated (much more so than with the S5)". Is that correct? I commented as I have not before heard such contrasting comments about these two speakers in the same series, and am now left thinking I should have bought S1's instead of S5's...