View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 07:18 AM

Default Help!! My C2200 Balance Control is now the Input Selector!!

Hello all --

I turned on my system this morning and noticed R channel output is lower than L channel output on the meters of both preamp and amp. When I push the mono switch both channels sound and look to be on the meters at the same level. Now here is the strange part. When I tried to check or adjust the balance control, it would display the balance (20 to 30 or more higher for the left channel) but then immediately turn itself into the input selector. In other words, turning the balance knob now selects the input! This is similar I think that happens during setup. Probably unrelated, but when tone controls are not bypassed (I always use with them bypassed) and when the treble control is operated in the extreme counterclockwise area is shows spikes in the right meter and static through the speakers, regardless of how many times I clean the pot.

I did a search on C2200 problems and found two balance related problems. But none that mention this strange input selector/balance control thing going on.

Is it possible to jumper around the balance control to solve this problem? I never use the balance control so this would be a pain-free solution. It appears it may be more complex than simply removing a control from circuit would correct. If that's the case, is there a way to bypass the setup circuit that I am thinking is involved here?

I would be fine with a short term solution even if it bypassed balance control, input control and setup. As mentioned above I never use balance, only use one input and never use setup. I am in France and any McIntosh tech is far away in Paris. And I would probably not see my preamp for many many moons. I am fairly competent with a soldering iron and am hoping someone here could coach me thru this.

Thanks -- Rob