View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 AM

I worked for 34 years as a recording and live sound engineer for the University of Illinois School of Music. A lot of the work I did was in the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts.

Take a look at the concert halls there: https://krannertcenter.com/about-center/our-venues

The Great Hall is considered one of the world's best. However, not long after I started working there, I found a spot in the balcony where there are two walls across from each other that are too close to parallel. When you clap your hands, you can hear a flutter echo run around the back wall of the hall.

And the question is, acoustically perfect for what? What is the reverb time?

Acoustics for different eras of music have different optimal reverb times. Baroque era music venues should be smaller and have shorter reverb times than Romantic era music. A large orchestra wants a longer reverb time than a solo piano concert.

Because the Great Hall had a large seating capacity, they booked acts in there so they could sell lots of tickets. Unfortunately, a lot of the musical styles that performed in that venue suffered from the 2.2 second reverb time.

Trying to amplify pop music was a nightmare.

Patrons complained about the horrible sound and blamed the mix engineer because they didn't understand it's impossible to overcome inappropriate acoustics.