View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 PM

... MIA, sorry, busy,
everything is going well.
Currently; speakers are 8.5' apart, 2' from the back wall to backs of the cabinets, probably 6' or more clear on both sides, sitting 9' from the speakers, the wall behind me is another 6' or more further away, Shunyata Venom power cords, interconnects, and speaker cable, McIntosh amps, pre, tuner, CD player, and a Linn LP12.
Proposed; a change to the arrangement of the components. After the new year.
My gear is older but working quite nicely. The vintage 801 Nautilus fit in with their looks, for me, and I am still growing my assessment of their performance. They have added to the audio experience, for sure.
My girlfriend walked in and she hadn't seen the speakers until that moment. Surprise. They were placed and playing. She saw them from a side view, from the entrance to the room, and she stopped in her tracks, her eyes widened, she paused as she took in the sight, and then she said, "Wow, those are nice"! The evening went real good. She likes the 801s. I didn't know what to expect for her reaction. She described their sound as 'more smooth' compared to the other gear around here. They have a big footprint and they command attention, visually and audibly, and they are rapidly claiming their iconic presence in the room. I can see that they wouldn't be a 'fit' for every room or person but they seem to be luscious, here.
The 801s replaced a pair of Linn Keilidhs. I've had them for more than 20 years! Pulling the cables out of them and putting them away is like when your dog dies or a girl friend dumps ya. Linn Keilidhs are nice neutral speakers in the right system. They are very easy to place, etc. It is a trip to replace them suddenly even though the replacement is the 801. I guess it's living proof that there really is a lot of fine, enjoyable, audio gear out there?
One thing for sure... quite a few times already, as I prepare to leave my place, the last thing I do is power off the audio gear but I've found myself hanging around for one more song and even two... shhhhh... three? Four?
I can only imagine the amazing systems all around the world that are being enjoyed.