View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Default "Close, But No Cigar?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Paul recently posted on their forum with an update regarding MQA support on their DS DAC. He said that initially he considered it a non-starter since MQA was requiring the decoding to be performed at the DAC and that compromised the performance of their FPGA design. Now that MQA is allowing the decoding to be done before the DAC they have an implementation which is viable and works well when streaming into their Bridge.
I think what PS Audio is working on is a software update to their "Bridge II Network Audio Card", which one would slide into the slot on their DAC. I had an exchange with Robert Harley from The Absolute Sound, and from that I think this software update would do the "unfolding" of the MQA stream, up to 96/24. What this update would not do is the is the "full end-to-end MQA" decoding. So I suspect that the result would be an MQA stream processed by the "Bridge II" would be higher resolution, but would not have the "deblurring" benefits of MQA.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling