View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:43 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
If the budget allows for a YggY over Gumby, there is no question. That's not to take anything away from the incredible value to performance ratio of Gumby but the extra $$$ does buy a noticeable amount of analog smoothness and 3D/enhanced focus and palpability factor.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Budget is totally Ok with either.

My debate has been based on the reports that the Yggy tends to err on the side of slightly brighter than the Gumby multibit.

I have a strong aversion to brightness (and with B&W 800s which can run a little hot in the tweeter, I’ve gone to great lengths to tone down the brightness).

I bought the c2300 tube preamplifier to tame the speakers some.

I worry that the Yggy may be more “transparent” and faithful to the original recording (many of which are mixed “hot”) but the Gumby may take some of the edge off. If this is the case (and the Gumby perhaps isn’t as faithful to the original recording, but more listenable as a result due to some smoothing as a result, I’d lean that way.

You are uniquely qualified as one who has owned both DACs. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW