View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Christoph.......The DAC in the McIntosh C52 preamplifier is a delta-sigma DAC. It converts the digital data stream in a different and less accurate mathematical manner than does the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil ladder DAC with its Closed-Form Digital Filter, a time and frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution that retains all the original samples, performing a true interpolation. The Yggdrasil DAC preserves the original samples all the way through from input to output. The results of this ultra accurate conversion delivers an astonishingly involving musical presentation.

I think I managed to clearly portrait my amazement of the Yggdrasil DAC and how it makes me feel when I listen to music through it in my review at post #1 of this thread. I also wrote the Esoteric K-01X versus Schiit Audio Yggdrasil comparison. The results of that direct A/B showdown provides crystal clear insight into the Yggdrasil's capabilities when compared to an audio component costing over 8 times the purchase price of the Yggy. Don't be fooled by the price because Yggdrasil is truly an incredible DAC in every respect against the big dogs.

Now, back to your C52 question. The DAC in that preamplifier is decent. It can decode PCM and DSD, where the Yggdrasil is dedicated to PCM only. If that is a concern, then you must consider the C52 DSD capabilities in your decision. In my opinion, for PCM playback the C52, as good as it is, is not in the same league as the Yggdrasil. It doesn't bring with it the emotional connection the Yggdrasil delivers in spades. If you are considering purchasing the Yggdrasil make sure you buy the latest version that includes the Analog 2 and USB Gen 5 upgrades recently incorporated in to the Yggy. The serial number for the latest version of the Yggdrasil begins with the letter B. Older model Yggdrasil DAC's have a serial number that begins with the letter A.

I hope my impressions help make your decision easier.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-30-2018 at 07:53 PM.