View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Hi Jerome,

I can assure you I wasn't saying Shindo doesn't sound good on its own. On the contrary, it seems to create magic wherever it goes, just not as magical as a full Shindo system.

I would also love to hear some Shindo, but it's not possible.
Nicely put Tommy.

Yes, given the $ and space (the speakers are big) a full Shindo system Shindo/Garrard 301 + Shindo Pre + Shindo power amp + Shindo Latour speakers would be very nice. I've heard it at Pitch Perfect Audio and it was magnificent.

But even a single component can bring magic.

Some anecdotal evidence:

My Shindo journey started with the Montille I "accidentally" found on Audiogon near my house. The guy who sold it to me had an Auriges preamp - I tried to buy it from him but he said "No way! It sounds too good. It's staying in my system." - and he was using it to drive a solid state Bryston amp in a system with components each costing several times more than the Auriges. The only reason he was parting with the Montille was that he needed more power for his speakers/room.

Having said that, for people without the room or $ for the Latour speakers, I think that the sweet spot is to have a Shindo pre and a Shindo power-amp.

If Jerome pulls the trigger on a pair of Shindo monoblocks, we'll know how they sound with the C1000 preamp.

Alberto