View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Sorry I was busy the past couple of days so I couldn't post my thoughts of the auditions.

Before I start I just want to say that I can not express how much I love the O3. They are booked and should get them by the end of the month.

The first day of the audition was not conclusive for me as there were some issues:

1. The room that the audition took place in was larger than when I auditioned the O2.
2. The O3 had less than 8 hours on them (but still sounded excellent).
3. The dealer did not have the Devialet 170 on demo so we listened to the 110s.
4. There were static from the NAP250 so we ended up driving the speakers with just the UnitiLite (which will not bring out a fraction of the O3 capabilities)

So I started with the Dev streaming my music through a Mac using the VLC player and something didn't feel right. I guess another program should have been used instead because I felt that the dac of the laptop may have been interfering. Half an hour later, the wifi got disconnected for some reason and we had to shift to the Naim. As soon as I hit play, the smile was back and was enjoying the music more. I left thinking that I should stick to Naim but I had to give the Dev another chance.

Next day, I went and they had shifted the O3 to the smaller room. There was no static there. So we started with the UnitiLite plus NAP250 and I had an even bigger smile (expected, with the dedicated more powerful amp). I was 90% sure I was walking out with the NAP250. To be fair to the Dev, since I was not able to play my music through a USB and it was not connected to the Ethernet I had brought in a CD with me. I first played it using the Naim and then through a CD player connected to the Dev. I was amazed by the clarity and soundstage that the Dev threw. Naim was warm and musical, but Dev was faster, clearer and more neutral. No matter how high the volume went the Dev never distorted and felt limitless. And this is only the 110. The 170 will be even clearer, will throw a wider soundstage and will be a better match for the O3, I think. I still love the Naim sound and will be missing the convenience of the UnitiLite but decided to go with the Dev170. I am going to collect it this evening and use it with my Toy Towers until the O3 arrive.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you. Let me know if you have any questions.