View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 PM

When the MX160's replacement comes out, I plan on upgrading then.
About 30 hours of constant streaming I've given it another listen.

It's getting better but.....
The buffering is bad. I have decent internet yet this player tends to stutter when I want it to play the most. It's like some MQA files just doesn't play well.
It's buggy, I've had an unresponsive app on my ipad at times. It's not a big deal, I just wanted to mention it. Swiping the app out and reopening it got it going again each time.
I'm a fan of the interface overall though.
Overall it sounds decent, until I play something from Amy Winehouse. Then I'm getting some extra distortion that doesn't belong in the song. I had this same distortion on my Nordost loom on day one, and it disappeared after a few days of break in. That distortion is back now. I'm sure in 49 hours it will go away lol.

I have a CD in my OPPO 205 with HDMI cable, and I'm streaming the same thing on the Aurender to A/B test it with RCA-type digital cable. I understand the MX122 might be the weak link, but so far I'm preferring the OPPO as a cd player. It's a tad bit clearer, but the A/B test is tough. It's a several second delay when toggling between and the volume Aurender is a couple notches louder which is distorting my perception. I'm imagining that after 49 hours the gap will be non existent, and a better cable will also take it further.

Do I want it? YES! But I don't know if I'm buying it yet. The interface is great, Tidal is well implemented, uploading music to the hard drive was so easy over the network (which was intimidating before the demo), but I can't get past the bugginess at this price level. Maybe it's just a setting, maybe it's a MQA bug, maybe it's my internet. I'll update tomorrow.