Thread: Dac ?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusTubesNow View Post
FloridaBoy -
... I've been reading a lot (why oh why do I do this? I seem to obsess over reading all kinds of threads on various fora about tube rolling in the Orchid...) ...You've probably read the same thread(s) as me about tube rolling in this thing.
... Do you still have both DACs? Which do you prefer?
Any time I was making changes whether it be tubes in my Orchid, or different interconnects, or different caps in the DAC, or general burn-in time on new devices, the conversations back and forth between FloridaBoy and I always led me back to the same variables before drawing any hard conclusions:

1) Give it another 3-4 weeks to settle in. Reminder to self to give it "time".
2) Each system, cables, speakers are different, "it's all system dependent".
3) We all hear things differently. What's dull to one person is bright to another.
4) Most of what you read is a general guideline at best. Rooms, systems, all vary.
5) Nobody really knows unless you try it in YOUR system. Results will vary.

Rinse and repeat, every time you change something else in your system. i.e. an Orchid might be good in system A, and the Abbas in system B. I'd say the biggest difference is the variance with speakers and rooms we all have. Such a wide array of variables for anyone to be able make firm recommendations. I now look at it all as general guidelines, just try it and resell what does not fit in your system. Be prepared to spend $, it's a hobby.

Last edited by decooney; 12-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.