View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM

I get freshly roasted coffee from Zabars or Fairway, both of whom roast over 8000 pounds a WEEK in their stores, so it's never more than a couple of days since it was roasted. It's great coffee.

I tend to like lighter roasts but very strong. I use a KitchenAid coffee grinder which uses a DC motor. The DC motor is nice because the coffee grounds don't have all the static electricity and fly around like grinders with AC motors. (I didn't believe it when the salesman told me that when I was buying it, but I went for it anyway. Turns out, it was true.) I use a commercial three-warmer Bloomfield coffee maker, which is also good for parties because I can brew decaf and regular, and can keep brewing fresh coffee instead of having older coffee in a 55 cup urn. I don't like volumetric measurement. I weigh my coffee when I brew it because it's faster and easier than counting scoops which may not always come out perfectly level. On the digital scale, when it says 100 grams, that's it. 10 grams per 6 ounce cup, which means a pot gets 100 grams of grounds. It also does not matter if the coffee is weighed as grounds or whole beans. The density of grounds and whole beans is the same as long as you don't pack and tamp grounds like in an espresso maker.

Add a little half and half, and its perfect!

Before or during work, I drink decaf. Caffeine and scalpels don't go well together. On weekends I drink hi-test.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 08-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.