View Single Post
Old 01-24-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
Appreciate the thoughts!

and Charles - I will let you know if end up going down the 1.25KW route....there is a great allure/appeal to the 3500, however, and I feel like that may be what I REALLY want!

On a separate topic, I am also hugely tempted by the MCD12000 as a spinner and DAC...the c1200 is quite nice, also, but I am not feeling the upgrade pull on that as much over my current c1100 preamp!

What I also need to decide is whether to try and pull the trigger on anything in the 75th anniversary form. I know the products are no different than the non-anniversary but there is irrational temptation on that front too lol

I would actually prefer your C-1100 over the C-12000 for myself. Are you into vinyl? The phono Stage for the C-12000 is significantly improved over the C-1100. I'm not into vinyl and never will be. I think that the main difference between the C-1100 and C-12000 is the phono stage and the greatly improved flexibility being able to choose between solid state and tube. The C-12000 is a true bargain if you have the money. Look up the review of the C-12000 in the recent Stereophile. The measured performance is amazing. JA calls it among the best that he has ever measured. It received an A+ in every category and I suspect the MCD12000 would, if reviewed receive the same measured performance. I want gear that measures well and sounds good too. I want gear that meets its published specifications. The more expensive the gear, the more lousy it measures, usually. Typical examples of this are expensive tube amplifiers that don't come close to meeting their wattage specs. I won't name names.

The MC3500 is guaranteed to meet all its published specs and I understand that it will do 500 watts. It has a S/N ration of 120 dB and distortion of less than .3%. And the Mac tube sound is beyond compare. All this for 30K. I love mine. I think that you are on the absolute right track. I would go with the 3500/MCD12000/C-12000. Your B&W's are keepers. I almost never buy used gear but if you do decide to pull the trigger I might be interested in your C-1100.

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes

Last edited by Charles; 01-24-2024 at 12:38 PM.