View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Holy Shit guys. Talk about making a guy re-consider IT ALL

I know Steve has been impressed with his Ref 6 BUT I also kind of figured it was due to just having an older Mac 2300 and older MC275 tube amps. It appears that some of you also have compared vs the legendary MC2301's.

I told Steve the other day that I probably should find a way to demo some ARC gear but would want to do so with my own setup.

At this juncture its really not the cost per se. We have ALL overspent I just want the best I can get AND for it to look as good as it sounds.

Mac gear so far at least at the level of the C1100 has been pretty amazing.

I may have to plan a trip up to Steve's soon and take my C1100 with me. I am familiar with the Logan 13's having owned them before the CLX.
Marc and I were talking a bit about this stuff after RMAF this year.....I love McIntosh gear, it's a superb value, excellent resale value, love the look.....I could go on and on but it can be a bit eye opening when you directly compare things like a 2 channel preamp, 2 channel amplifier with some other brands such as ARC. Ask form member Rob about his experience when he swapped in the VAC preamp in his system! The great thing about ARC gear is that they really seem to be in the sweet spot for dollar vs. high end performance. Sure the Ref 6 isn't cheap but compared to a lot of gear, it's not that bad. If I had more efficient less demanding speakers, I would've gone with the Ref 6/Ref 250 mono combination which would have saved me a little bit of $$$. For what you get, it's hard to beat a well matched Audio Research system.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3