View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Default DirectStream Transport+DAC is "The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I have the now discontinued PS Audio PerfectWave transport, with an I2S connection to my DirectStream DAC (running Torreys), and it sounds pretty darn good!

Has anyone who is familiar with that combination had the chance to audition the DirectStream memory player with the DirectStream DAC? If so, impressions on the differences?
When I received my new DirectStream transport, hooked it to my DirectStream DAC with the I2S cable, the "handshake" between the transport & the DAC failed and the transport "down converted" SACDs from DSD to PCM). On a call with PS Audio support we discovered that my early version of the DAC had a problem with the "digital board" broadcasting its ID, so I returned the DAC for repair, just got it back a few days ago!

The DirectStream DAC + transport brings out more detail from my disks than I've every heard, CDs and SACDs. With SACDs, the level of detail is beyond anything I've heard! Acoustic instruments and vocals have a smoothness I've never heard before on digital. The most striking difference is the "visceral" impact from instruments, the "feeling" of the violin vibrating, the "percussive" sound of the hammer striking the piano string, and the "timbre" accompanying the "ping" when the drummer strikes a ride cymbal. The bass seems more defined and "distinct".

I also feel that each instrument and voice seems to have more "distinctness", but that might be the result of the firmware upgrade on the DAC to Huron.

I am really really impressed by this setup!

I am one who was just "smitten" by MQA. I found that, when a track was really well recorded, that "distinctness" and the "timbre" was really special. I'd say that Huron + the DirectStream DAC + the DirectStream transport is even better sounding than MQA.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling