Thread: Yamaha NS-5000
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 10:21 PM

Hi there! Yes, I would believe these speakers to be more toward the full range side rather than monitors. I found the sound to be well balanced. It was not bright, not boomy. Music just seemed to flow with ease. To be honest, I didn't know about the legacy of the NS-1000 before I heard the NS-5000 so when I saw these big '80s style Yamaha speakers I wasn't expecting much. I knew Yamaha for their mainstream product but not much for their hi-fi counterparts. To say the least, it was a very pleasant surprise, but the price tag wasn't.

Since it was at the Montreal Audio Show, I spend about 15 minutes in the room watching and listening to these speakers. As with audio shows, there was a lot of people and constant background noise so it is difficult under these conditions to have an in depth view on these speakers. But, for the time I was there, they really made an impression. As I said, I found the sound to be so well balanced and very musical. The sound wasn't "dry" or bright to my ears, kind of organic. The bass was right, again to my ears.

I didn't ask the rep as to when these speakers would be available. I didn't think about this when talking to him. I was just shocked at the price tag :eek. Beyond my experience, I suggest if you have a chance to have a listen to them, they really worth it.

I don't have my pictures with me but tomorrow I will upload the pictures I shot at the Yamaha room during the show.

Take care,

Serge