View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Retired

As HD is pretty much anything but high fidelity, add any of the Sangean models with RCA outs to your system and have HD. You could then focus on a high quality FM tuner (with AM, if wanted) of which there are several new and many vintage available. I've gone the refurbished (recapped & aligned) vintage route, but may yet go for an Accuphase T-1100.

Clark2 - as you posted while I was typing, to answer your latest, go thru the old posts on the fmtuners@yahoogroups.com forum and read about the fidelity of HD radio and its implementation. It turned out to be nothing more than a marketing driven solution to a non-existent problem. Any number of the threads/posts on same are from broadcast engineers who were instrumental in the installation of the equipment for HD broadcasting and the problems with same. HD does not mean 'high definition' in the case of HD radio. It does not have the 'CD quality' sound that was initially stated and is nowhere near same. It is well accepted that a well done FM broadcast has considerably better fidelity than HD radio. That said, HD broadcasts are like FM broadcasts. Unless the engineer setting up and running the equipment does a good job its fidelity won't be as good as is possible (though never up to a good FM broadcast). I use HD only to be able to listen to jazz from WRTI during the day when their FM broadcast is classical and they are playing something that does not interest me.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-23-2019 at 10:58 AM.