View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I don't believe it's possible to have the transient power correction (TPC) without the transformer. You are correct that according to the OM (see p.12) of the 5000, a portion of the noise dissipation is provided by the transformer which is the reason that for sources, the 5000 should be in the engaged mode. However, the other function of the transformer (also see p.12) is to provide for the 90 amp current bank. Without the transformer this 90 amp current reservoir and TPC feature cannot exist. Again, the 5000 must be in the engaged mode otherwise there is no TPC. In my purchase I went into significant depth about this because since I only use the 7000 for sources, the 7000 would have to be always in the engaged mode. I didn't like this. As an incidental finding, I learned about the function of transformer for the amps. Unless you have an amp plugged in, the standby mode is not available. I finally decided to take a chance and buy the 7000 because I wanted the individual isolation transformers for my sources also. As I said my experience has been quite positive because there has been no significant increase in my electric bill. The 7000 remains in the engaged mode 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Unless the amps are on the 5000's remain in the standby mode. To anyone considering a purchase, you could potentially be adding 30 amps an hour to your bill (10 amps per device). I found this concerning. AQ is quite upfront about this possibility and this is the reason for the standby feature. Read OM carefully before purchase.
According to several articles, a local Garth Powell presentation at my dealer, and the top of page 4 of my Niagra 5000 Owner's Manual (first feature listed under Niagra 5000 Features), the 5000 does have Transient Power Correction. It does not have transformers. Regarding the rear panel Power Correction Switch setting, FWIW I run mine in Standby mode as described under the exception setting (p 12 of the 5000 OM). Here the TPC Circuit is automatically engaged when two pre-conditions are met.