View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
The AURALiC seems like exactly what I’m looking for. A streamer and a dad with WiFi. That would just be 2 box then the AURALiC plus the energiser.

Granted this would be slightly above my budget but the number I gave was arbitrary. I wanted to see what I could get at this price point and how much if I go beyond.

I think if I go a “cheaper” route, I’ll end up changing everything in a few years. The overall budget is still less than what some spend on an amp alone.

I still haven’t decided on an energiser. I haven’t compared any of them so this will be the next step.

I’ll check out the Mytek though it’s more expensive than the AURALiC. Not sure which one would be the best suited.

How much is the BHSE better than the Stax offering? I’m leaning more toward a SS setup for the bedroom rather than tube though. I saw that Headamp has other offering. Do you know about them?
I have had more than 10 Stax amps and currently have probably 40 different Stax models, as well as another 30 high end conventional headphones and maybe 20 amps. I have a weakness for headphones given my travels and need to use confined spaces. I had an older amp Justin made called the Aristeaus. I used it with my Sennheiser HE 90's, Orpheus, original Stax Omegas, and 4070's. At the same time, I had a Stax SRM 727 (solid state version due to ship's noise on certain generator configurations). The Aristeaus bested the Stax in every measurable sense, and I found my favorite combination to be the Aristeaus with the HE 60's (Baby Orpheus), although the bass response was somewhat lacking in comparison.

The SR-009's were truly the breakthrough model for Stax a few years back. Much better than the SR-007's. I bought the upgraded models and 8000 amp from Ivan because I am hooked on all things Stax, and wanted to get as close to their flagship amp, the SRM T-2. I heard the Blue Hawaii in Iceland with a buddy and headphone guru on various models, but without an 8000 handy. I did compare it to other Stax amps and a Cavalli, and there was simply no comparison. I am confident that the BHSE will at least equal my 8000 in some regards and better it in many others based on feedback from my friends who own them. I own some conventional Headamp gear, and I can say the quality is simply the best, both in sound and construction. It takes time for Justin to build these units, and he usually requires a deposit and about 6 to 8 weeks to complete the unit.

He also sells other electrostatic headphones he can advise you about, and sells Stax amps. Justin is honest and fair, and a purist. Talking to him, I think would be enlightening.

Regarding Stax, I have a pair of SR-009 (originals I have half heartedly tried to sell, I really don't want to), but when I am home from abroad again in 9 weeks, if you have not made your decision, I would be happy to ship them to you to audition for two weeks, and then you could return them before I travel again. Making that kind of investment into something so personal and exotic shouldn't be done based on advice and magazine articles alone. If I had to choose one setup, it would be the SR-009's, and I have an insane collection. I can say they are very, very close to the Sennheiser HE-1's for a fraction of the cost. I have not heard the HiFiman Shangri La's and Jr's, but they may be worth a listen to. I am sure Ivan can accommodate any need you have. He also has the Stax combo I bought from him and I am sure he has some insights of his own. I look forward to hearing about your final purchase and impressions.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.

Last edited by Robert_Anderson; 02-23-2020 at 10:03 PM.