View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Default Schiit on the Nightstand

I think my bedroom headphone system has been outgrown by the headphones it feeds. I have a Squeezebox Touch (with a firmware mod to allow USB out to 192k) with Channel Islands Power Supply, to a Centrance DAC Mini DAC/Headphone amp. It sounds very nice but with my last two headphone additions (Audeze LCD-XC and Focal Elear) it is time to upgrade to take fuller advantage of the Audezes and Focals.

There’s been a lot Schiit-talk going around on AA as of late which has caught my attention and left me with some questions. For the amp, those of you who have the Valhalla 2, why the Valhalla instead of the Lyr 2? For those of you I’m referring to I’m sure it was not to save 100 bucks. Did you compare the two or just want more pure ‘tube’. I like tubes (my main system runs around a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium IA) but I’m in Miami so heat is an issue— especially for equipment sitting on a night table and for the same reason, the delicate nature of 4 exposed tubes (which disqualifies any of the Woo amps except maybe the FireFlies but I’m thinking there’s more bang for the buck with this Schiit). The Lyr (at least looks) to be a little less vulnerable on the night stand.

As for the DAC side of things, I’m very intrigued by the Gunghir Multibit but the size may be a problem. If it is too big to make work, are there any thoughts about the Bifrost Multibit? Anyone have experience with it or compare it to the Gumby? Again, these questions are in the context of feeding LCD-XCs and Elears (plus who knows what comes next).

I appreciate any thoughts, comments and suggestions.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.