View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
Currently these are in my PSE with the IIRPS, so diode rectification. If I am not mistaken the 315V rating of these tubes if near to identical to the 6V6G specs so a similar v drop rectifier as the 5y3 should make everything run OK. With my setup as stated above I assume the Amp will be fine as you, AA, Dennis and I sat and listened to the 6v6g quad combo for a while in his listening room when I was picking mine up. I also recall Dennis buying a quad of same for his home PSE. As per Dennis' visual test, i.e. look for red-plating, I cannot do that here in my office. It never is dark enough so I am currently trusting everything is just going to be OK.
So it turns out this was a flawed thought process. I left the amp on over night because I often leave it on as I am thinking about other things and running to get the kids as I leave work. Well I arrived yesterday morning to a particularly noxious smell of burnt plastic/rubber. Everything was still glowing nicely but I did take a good whiff overtop the amp and that was the source. Pulled off the skid plate and a wirewound resistor was completely fried. It seems one of the tubes went "nuclear" (Dennis description). After admitting that I was running the 6k6gts I was gently chastised by the Man himself. Live, roll and learn.