Thread: Mac mini Setup
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I have been using the UltraFi guide to optimize the MacOS installation for music playback. But the UltraFi guide is now no longer free and I don't think I should reproduce it. Besides, the guide was originally designed for their specific USB-DAC and some of the stuff are either obsolete (no need to disable Rosetta or force 64 bit when you run Lion or newer) or not applicable if you are using something like Pure Music or Audirvana Plus. So I thought we could find some of the resources online that are freely available and consolidate this as a knowledge-base. Start COPY from the following and add to it if you have something to share. I am particularly keen to see what Mach2Music or the new Mojo Mac Packages do ------START COPY------- 1. Disable Spotlight Apple/System Preferences/Spotlight Manually uncheck all the items inside. 2. Disable IR Apple/System Preferences/Security/Advanced (you need to click on the Lock to unlock the Advanced button) 3. Disable iTunesHelper Apple/System Preferences/Users Click on the user account that you log on with Click Login Items Click on iTunesHelper Use the '-' button to remove it from running on start up I usually use the '+' button to start Audirvana Plus (which then also starts iTunes with iTunes Integration enabled) 4. Disabling Dashboard Spaces and Mission Control Mac OS X: Disable Mission Control and Spaces | defaults-write.com 5. Enable Finder Quit Adding 'Quit' option to OS X Finder | defaults-write.com 6. Disable Dashboard Disable Dashboard in Mac OS X | defaults-write.com 7. Disable time machine too. 8. Disable energy saver I would think too. 9. Turn off bluetooth and wireless networking if you dont need them too.
This was great Doggie,
I had done some optimization of the OS but after reading your guide I ventured in to also add quit to Finder and disabled Dashboard. Small accumulations but sweet. All in all optimising the OS has made the sound a shade more natural, alive and clearly sweeter. Very good recommendation for a bit of a mini sq upgrade. Many thanks!

graham