View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
Stephen, what is amazing in my opinion it is that your friend did not feel slowness / lack of speed with regard to these ESL 63
Hi Philippe,
Dynaudio are reknown for being amongst the fastest dynamic driver speakers, and in my own experience, are completely competitive with the best panel speakers for speed. They are so fast, in fact, that like with panel speakers, integrating a sub that can match them for speed can be a bit of an issue, for the same reasons as it can be with panel speakers. The only makes I know that are fast enough to keep up with Dyn drivers are Dyn's own subs, REL, and JL.

So, actually I wasn't too surprised that my friend did not feel the slowness / lack of speed with regard to his ESL 63s, 'cause I already had a pretty good idea just how fast the Dyns are. The Contour S3.4 model in particular is exceptional in this regard as they scale (ability to accelerate) from piano (soft) to loud/dynamic (fortissimo) and back again incredibly quickly and with virtually no hint of strain or breakup. The S3.4s are also well-regarded for their top-to-bottom coherence, more so than the bigger, three-way S5.4. He also liked them for their neutrality as well as complete lack of listener fatigue.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.