View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
chief tube tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Hello folks,

I noticed that, while saying that Shindo gear makes you forget the gear, you're almost all into upgrades all the time, like the other audiophiles here. So, you're still looking for "better sound". What is missing then ?

I understand tnat Matt's full trade in value help a lot for that ( how does this guy earn money ? ), but still, I find a bit controversial the permanent upgrade / change path for people who say that they found at last the Music they love and can finally forget the gear.....

Don't want to be polemic at all. Just curious to have your feelings about that.
Hey Jérôme,

I find that, if I look over my records, customers build up their system over many years - starting with the preamp. Then appropriate A23 or Shindo cables, a Shindo amp, possible accessories (Mr. T, etc), Step up transformers, so on and so forth. So before they get too carried away with upgrading the one piece of gear, they end up with augmenting what they already have with additional components to bring out the best in their original purchase.

For example, Serge is maximizing the peformance of his new Masseto with the A23 step up and EMT cartridge. This would make more sense than moving up to a Vosne Romanee and plugging a basic denon 103 into the built in step up of the VR. So, it's these subtle details I recommend, before considering drastic changes.

Of course, a Vosne Romanee with the A23 step up and EMT would be sweet.

It's not too often that someone quickly moves up the line. When they do, it's usually the preamp, unless there was a change in their speakers that would require the use of a different amp- or if they were looking for a different flavor.

-Matt