View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM

I've secured the rifle and optic, finally getting some time to mount the optic and do a little work to set proper eye relief. I also put aside about 1,500 rounds of ammo for sighting in and testing.

I have a few accessories on the way this week such as a sling, sling mounts, bipod, etc... so it will look a bit different than it does now.

I tore it all apart Friday night, inspected all the parts, replaced the firing pin retaining cotter key for a real retention pin, lubed it up and then put it all back together again.

Hopefully I'll get some range time in this next weekend, weather permitting. For now, it's a virgin.

Here's my new Ruger SR556 Takedown model:

Vortex Viper optic (1 - 4 x 24, illuminated MOA reticle and multi-dot BDC) was added yesterday. Got it pretty much lined up and ready for zero but I don't think it will take much at all. Had to remove the rear sight to make this work, which is OK as the optic reticle works illuminated or not. I'll make sure the rear sight is in my go bag though, just in case.

My neighbor, a Afghan war vet, came over and he's all bummed out. He no longer has his issue M4 and now he wants an AR so bad he's drooling on mine. I'll take him out with it and we'll go have some fun after I zero this one in.