View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 02:51 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Hey to All:

Does anyone know if the Stillpoints Ultra SS will support the Alexia 1?

Or is it better to just use the OEM spikes?
The Wilson diodes + spikes and Stillpoints work differently. Diodes+spikes aim to drain energy from the speaker cabinet into the floor. Sillpoints intends to convert speaker cabinet energy into heat.

The UltraSS will support the Alexia. However, having Alexias v1 and v2 myself along with an array of Stillpoints, I'm sceptical of the overall effectiveness of the UltraSS under an Alexia and reasonably confident you will not get the benefit from them that you could if you put UltraSS under, say, an electronic component with a power supply or transformer. The UltraSS is too small for the Alexia, imo. The sound will probably change but you may not get what you think you're paying for. Imo the Alexia should use the larger more expensive Stillpoints Ultra5s, if you want to use Stillpoints and receive the full benefit of what they offer. Whether you prefer that to what you hear with the diodes+spikes in place is up to you.

The Alexias were designed for use with the diodes+spikes they come with. The spikes supplied with the series 2 are slightly different from the originals, so they are not one size fits all. Neither are the Stillpoints a universal product. Few if any speaker manufacturers will tell you some third-party product improves the sound of their speaker.

Stillpoints can be effective when used appropriately. They are not "voodoo". I found the UltraSS work very well under heavy amplifiers. Find a dealer who will let you demo a set and gauge for yourself.