View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 01:27 PM

Default Refugee from Electrostats

I had various electrostats for many years. Quad ESL57s, Quad 989s, and a couple different models of Martin Logans. I think the technology is what first sold me and then kept me going. Surely if I could only get these dialed in, or with the right amp, or in the right place in the room, or in the right room, they would blow my mind.

Trouble is instead of listening to music I was always trying something else that would for sure get them to sound like music. The Quads were both limited with a stunning midrange but little else, and the MLs always sounded like plastic to me (for lack of a better description). Then I got into a time in my life where I was moving every year or so. And six foot tall speakers became totally impractical, to move and to find a house with a room they would work in.

I finally said "why am I doing this?" I had a soft spot in my heart for the 57s and had earlier gave those to my son. Sold my ML's and went to Vandersteen 5s. Those arent as unweildy as a couple of towering electrostats but unfortunately weigh about 150lbs each. So on my next move overseas, I had to give those up.

When I returned to the States I started researching speakers and came across glowing reports of a fairly rare old speaker: the Spendor S100. I remember being struck by one particular review by a guy who had to sell his pair. He told of sitting on the curb sobbing when his speakers drove away with their new owner! I was in Houston about a month later going thru Craigslist ads and low and behold there was a pair in Baton Rouge. Called the guy up and asked how long does it take to get to Baton Rouge from Houston? Bought them without hearing them, got them home and fell in love. Funny, because they are the farthest thing from an electrostat and the farthest thing from 'high tech' you can imagine.

I cant really explain it. All I can say is they always sound like music and I can listen to them almost endlessly. And I no longer analyze what the speaker is doing. I just sit back and enjoy.