View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
It all depends of what "sound" you want to get from your second turntable. I've gone through at least a dozen in the last 5 years (VPI, Rega, Thorens TD124, TD125, Project, Empire 298 and 598, ...)

The modern tables were too cold and analytical for me, at time I felt like I was listening to a CD. Kudos for accuracy, but they scored low on deliciousness. The rim-drive Thorens TD124 (I had 2 of them) sounded great, but I had rumble issues - even after refurbing them replacing some key parts.

The ones I kept are the Thorens TD125ii with SME 3009ii tonearm and the Empire 398. I made my decision based on sound, they both sounded very warm, relaxed and delicious. They made vinyl sound like vinyl and not CD.

I have no doubt that someone else would have preferred the Rega or VPI with they more precise sound.

That's why I think it's crucial to know ahead of time what kind of experience you want from your second turntable before one can make recommendations.

Hope this helps,

Alberto

PS Photo of my favorite turntable. Still with me after 6+ years.

Can't agree with you more. I also have a Thorens TD125mk2 with AT 1005mk2 tonearm which I rebuilt with a new chasis and I will not trade it. I also have a VPI Classic 1 but the Thorens is not going anywhare. As you said, the Thorens is less detailed but has this warmth of great vinyl that's hard to resist.