Thread: Audio Research?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Serge
The Sophia's are excellent speakers but you do not have to throw that kind of coin at them to get 98% of what they offer.

Too bad you are not going out to RMAF in 10 days. At least you might hear some other gear that interests you.

Jim
Jim, while the Sophia 2 and 3 are very often displayed with lesser gear to prove that you don't have to break the bank to have great sound, I even auditioned the Sophia 3 with the lower end Ayre gear and really enjoyed it as well as made the decision to own a pair, I also know they deserve and can support gear of much higher level. The Sasha reacted much more to different gear than virtually any of the speakers I've owned before... I believe that Sophia 3 will also reveal quite a broad range of differences in upstream components. Both have chameleon like qualities. I've heard a big difference just by swapping in a pair of Transparent RCAs with Sasha and Sophia 3 this morning. Just like that the sound changed... wasn't always this kind of a dramatic difference with all of my other speakers before.

Besides, there is more to this than just having gear "good enough" to drive them. I don't have to tell you all the other aspects of pride and satisfaction of ownership and how much that last 2% of performance costs us.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-05-2010 at 03:20 PM.