View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post
Interesting that in the "Manufacturer's Comments" section that there was no reply or explanation as to why one of the units overheated and turned off during JA's benchtests.
It sounds like one of the monoblocks may have developed a problem while the other one went on to complete the 1/3 power into 8 ohm load for an hour test on the bench.

That test really does stress the amps out which thermally is the worst case for an amplifier with a class-A/B output stage. Same thing happened to the McIntosh MC501 monoblocks when tested by Stereophile, they shut down after only 5 minutes!

In real world applications, neither my MC501 ever shut down or got hot nor my Momentum monos ever get any more than warm and that is being asked to drive speakers under movie soundtrack environment for hours on end with explosions, screeches, screams, bullets, bombs exploding everywhere, you know, all that stuff that makes the theater FUN! I saw the meters being pegged on those dynamic soundtracks so I had to turn the meter sensitivity down to the lowest setting! Barely warm.... Music? How about 8 hrs a day non stop while breaking in speakers and long session listening. Barely warm... Nothing to worry about at all.