View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Shifting Gears

Macuser and Oltmb......Thanks very much for the kind and informative replies.

Macuser......Bearing in mind that we own older Mac equipment, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions. First, I'd like to know which amp is pictured as your forum avatar photo? As you seem to be much more up to date, in general, when it comes to audio equipment, I was wondering if you have any thoughts on audio source material? Specifically, I'm wondering if you're still into the traditional vinyl medium or, conversely, if you've moved into formats like SACD?

As we have an oldish Denon HDCD player, I recently started looking for CDs recorded in said format ... and, yes, the Denon really shines when the HDCD indicator lights up. The upside to the whole HDCD thing is that the Denon easily hooks up to our MX130 preamp. The downside, of course, is that HDCD didn't really take off -- and the amount of decent music available in this format is extremely limited.

I also recently purchased a few SACD discs, but the only piece of equipment we have capable of processing via this format is a Sony UDP-X800 blu ray player that we use for movie watching. It works very well for all of our DVDs (new and old), but it only has (2) HDMI receptacles on the rear panel, so using it with our old Mac stuff is a problem.

Once again, as you appear to own much newer equipment than ours, I would really appreciate any thoughts you might be willing to share in this regard.

Thanks again for your time ...

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections