View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
John,
Have you considered updating other pieces of your system? The reason I ask is that the Olympica III's are an outstanding speaker. Without knowing about the rest of your gear, it's hard to tell if any of the models in your price range would be truly better. They will all be significantly older, and Sonus Faber's house sound has changed over the years. Different, sure. Better? Hard to say.

For example, if you're a digital guy and your DAC is more than a few years old and cost less than $20k, a newer DAC in the $2k to $5k price range will best it by a fair margin.

If you're an analog guy, a new playback package in your price range could provide years of enjoyment.

Tom
Tom, good points all. And please don't get me wrong, I completely agree that
they are an outstanding speaker, and I love mine. I'm just trying to calculate what model might bring me even more of the same sound I appreciate so much, still work in my room, and would be an upgrade, in terms of model, that could be bought used within my pricepoint.

I also agree that I need to be very careful here as to the differences to those older models, and the newer ones, as the sound signature changed, and it is what I admire about the Olympica III's.

I feel pretty locked down on the rest of the system, which is as follows:

Preamp - Manley Neo Classic 300B preamplifier
Power amp - Conrad Johnson ART SA
DAC - ModWright Elyse (also have a HoloAudio Spring DAC LEVEL 3 "Kitsune Tuned Edition")
Network Player/Streamer - Aurender N100H
CD/SACD player - Marantz Reference Series SA‑11S

John