View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Semi-audiophile

It is interesting that, since the change to a Transparent HPPC for the 2300, I've been paying less attention to the 2300 itself. Having been pleased by the sonic difference the HPPC made, I'm now not as concerned about other issues related to the preamp. Last night I was actually listening to music as much or more than sound. I might even explore an all-Transparent PC or IC setup, based upon what I've heard. Or a Kimber/Transparent combo of some kind, probably Kimber Hero ICs and Transparent HPPC PCs. The Premium is Transparent's next PC, at $600 for a 2m cord; pretty sure a 1m (for the preamp) would be the same.

Another piece to this is the recent acquisition of a Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD, and its cleaner sound over the 09FD I've been using. Turning the sampling rate down to 48kHz from 192kHz seemed to add a bit of weight to the sound, which was interesting. In none of that was I thinking about the 2300; the focus was on what other changes did for the sound. That may be a good sign.

I'm still curious about the C52, but have less urgency to hear one. If I get the chance while in Nashville I might; I'm headed there Saturday, Lord willing. Hi-Fi Buys would be the place to do that, and also to check out more Transparent stuff (not that I can't get it here, but Hi-Fi Buys is a nice store). It's easier to play with ICs and PCs that changing out tubes, so it could be that I've found a new area to experiment in.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks