View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Thank you for the welcome Terry & Ivan

I have little doubt that the platinum is a great sounding cable but still struggle a bit with the questions posed.

i am using a Squeezebox Touch with the EDO software mod which allows the USB (in) to be used as a USB out from the Touch. My original DAC (Naim) couldn't handle USB but I was very happy with the COAX connection - until I auditioned a much less expensive Micromega MyDac which does accept asynch USB. When I first tried it with a bog standard USB cable I couldn't get it to work. So I took a gamble on a WW Ultraviolet and voila - all works fine and sounds amazing. I am pretty sure this is down to the USB asynch transmission now doing a great job of eliminating jitter.

I am pretty sure the Squeezebox isn't transmitting any power via its USB - but I could be wrong. What I do know is the MyDac has its own power supply so any power coming down the USB is superfluous to requirements. Would it make sense to have some USB cables that don't carry power - as it appears lots of expense goes into isolating the power part of the cable from the signal part. We could get more bang for our buck if the power bit were left out - if this is at all possible??

Does that make any sense? Sorry to have rabbited on, on my 2nd only post !!

Thanks
Sam