View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 01:14 AM

Someone in this forum suggested to use a simple plug-and-play, inexpensive filtering gadget to improve the Amp's performance and allow better bass (please identify yourself, so we can give you credit) ... Well, I tried this gadget today and I'm so impressed I will never go back to the original setup.

With the RED MOD High-Pass filters at 100 Hz (the gadget), the Amp works without the overload of those difficult first 100 Hz frequencies. Passing those exclusively to the SUB (set with a line cross-over at 100Hz), bass lines are seamlessly connected between under and over 100 Hz (there is a tangible difference between reinforcing the bass and complementing it), and the Amp's performance has improved noticiably.

I have so far only tried this with PRE and AMP running GL KT-77's, which used to be somewhat bass-limited in my rig. Not anymore! This setup has been my favorite for a while, and now it is gorgeous! I cannot imagine what this will do with tubes specified at lower max plate current in Triode at 250 V, i.e., EL-34, 6P3S-E (6L6), 350B and 6V6's.

The cited smaller tubes (except the EL34, which I have never tried) struggle with body of sound in my system, essentially due to their limited electrical capacity, while having to deal with the highly demanding low frequencies ... Although I have yet to confirm this with smaller tubes, I bet now I'll be able to enjoy them much more.

Anyone in possession of one or more SUB's must give these a try, they really work.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 06-11-2017 at 01:25 AM.