View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-w View Post
I wonder what these will do to the sound!

They'll make it kris-kross. And no doubt sharpen the listener's perception of what he/she hears on any given musical run-through.

The Hallograph appears to be a "curlicuing" alternative to diffusing (e.g., QRD), scattering (e.g., GIK scatter plates), or otherwise randomizing reflections in the listening space.

Whether the selection of the specific hardwoods employed is consequential is an open question. If there's a theoretical basis for it and not a gimmick, I suspect (and this is strictly a layman's supposition) it's based on how a given wood's density, grain structure, and related parameters affect the device's reflectivity at its designed "working" frequency range.

Unless an aesthetic consideration--such as it is--governs the decision, the selection of two different hardwoods implies that the Hallograph incorporates a physical "crossover" (mids to highs?). And if that's really the case, is the selection of both the crossover point and the wood employed for each frequency band determined by test-equipment-monitored tests or the listening preferences of the designer?

I don't know if the device's technical/promo literature, if such exists, covers any of this, as I haven't read it.