View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 02:33 PM

I have a ref 6 and had a ref 3 before that. When I use a Tungsol 6550 black plate or grey smooth plate it always makes the bass too pronounced in the ref 6 in my new house, but not in the old house (room differences effect). I also have winged C's from 05, 07, 10, 11 and 1996!

Whats interesting about the 10/11 date codes is that the getters are positioned flat and look like WE's getters not angled like the earlier date codes. I would say in the ref 6 they seem to make the unit more smooth in the upper mid lower treble compared to the WE, but it seems to lose some of the spacial cues when not using the WE's, go figure!

I have also tried the 6H30 DR's from the 70's and 80's in the ref 6 and can't really make up my mind. I keep coming back to stock! In the ref 3 the DR's and Tungsol black plates always seemed much better than stock!

Another interesting thing about 6550 tube either Svetlana or Tungsol is that they all sound different. I have 3 Toungsol black plates that are brand new NOS from Andy of Vintage Tube Services and they do each have there own slight sonic signature. I would also say that the older winged C's seem more focused in the bass!

I hope some other ref 6 users give there insights to 6550 debate. I'am no expert!!! just wanted to participate in the discussion.

thanks,

John.