View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
I have owned a pair of MX-R amps for 2 1/2 years now. Bought from the dealer as a Demo pair, and have been very happy with the sound. Really transformed my system This week all of a sudden one amp shut down in protection mode due to overheating. I have tested it out and, just to the touch it heats up much quicker than the other and gets hotter before the shut down. I wonder if anyone has had this problem and what the fix is? I am seriously not looking forward to shipping them in for repair.....well if I am then maybe a Twenty upgrade??
I am waiting for a reply from Ayre via the dealer, which should happen early next week.
I saw on another forum that some of the earlier models had some substandard transistors that led to overheating and had to be replaced?? not sure.
I owned MXR's for a ~5 years. GREAT amps. And yes I had your problem. It's a bad batch of power output transistors. They can be replaced back to Ayre and back pretty quickly. My dealer had MXR-20's which I wanted to love. I liked em...all the typical things, better bass, more resolute, more quiet, better attack, more dynamic...but had this elusive thing missing that kept me wanting the MXR's back in.

I ended up getting a Nagra Classic Amp ... vs the MXR20 update.

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Transparent Opus (x4)/Opus Source Power Cords (x6) Opus Power Isolators (x2)
Power Shunyata Typhon+Anaconda Zitron/DPC-6 v2
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)