Thread: ET5 arrives!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I have been a bit scared to even contemplate NOS 6922's for my ART3, too bloody expensive when I need 10 and a couple of spares, but I am very happy with the stk tubes.

- more dynamic and quieter does sound enticing - I have no issues with grain on top thou. Doe the EAT tubes change the overall tone of the ET5 / GAT?

ET5 is grainy on top?

BTW Coppy, nice to see another cj owner
Well, that is the issue with the ART3, but seriously, the tube life is pretty long. While EAT tubes might not make sense for that preamp, you could probably find some decent tubes in the 50-75 ea range that will really knock your socks off compared to the stock tubes.

The EAT tubes have not changed tonality in any preamplifier I've used them with thus far.

The ET5 is not grainy on top, but when you hear the diff between the stock tube and the EAT, it is much cleaner sounding. It's not the preamp, it's the $10 tube they put in at the factory.

That's one of the most fun aspects of this preamplifier and the GAT. With only one or two tubes, you can try a few different options without breaking the bank.

But that being said, the ART series preamps respond incredibly well to tube rolling. As you can well imagine if CJ put premium tubes in them from the factory, it would raise the cost considerably.