Thread: ET5 arrives!
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
The EAT Tubes are admittedly pretty spendy, but so far the sonic benefit is as good as any rare NOS tubes I've had the chance to try, and at least these have a guarantee if they fail prematurely. I've had a few expensive NOS tubes croak in a short period of time with no recourse.

The EAT output tubes worked great in my LP70, but that only required four. At about 1600 per quad, it's up to you if that's cost effective for your power amps.

But I would highly suggest trying a pair in your GAT. Or even your favorite NOS 6922's. So far, the result has been spectacular in every preamp I've tried them. Bigger soundstage, lower noise and better dynamics. The GAT is an awesome preamp, so you'll probably hear a pretty decent difference. Let us know what you think

Reply...

TonePub,

Good suggestions, thanks. I've ordered a pair of the EAT ECC88s for the Gat. The dealer is expecting a shipment soon. To be sure of fit in the GAT, tried to order them w/o the spiked thingy on the outside but despite being listed in the price sheet, they're not available that way.

The LP140s have a critical driver tube up front. That may be a place to try an EAT without spending $3200 for two quads. By the way, C-J has an update for the LP140s that makes that single perfect driver tube less critical. Don't know if it applies to your LP70.

Got to figure out how you guys do the nice gray quote boxes for reply on this site...
Yes, you may have trouble with the EAT tube dampers not fitting in the GAT with the acrylic tube protector thingys. I had the same trouble with a set of Herbies' tube dampers fitting when using the plexi tube guards on the three front input tubes on my LP70s. They wouldn't fit with the plexi pieces without making the tube sit cockeyed in the socket. This caused a failure mode in two of those three input tubes in the front (like the ones on your LP140s) that required me to replace these input tube sockets). If you can remove the unusual metal EAT tube dampers, they would likely fit in your GAT with using the C-J style red neoprene O-ring type tube dampers. Or you can use the EAT ones, but you may have to remove the plexi "tube guards".
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.